As coronavirus becomes more prevalent in Europe, Medline Europe is facing unprecedented demand for many of our products. We continue to receive many inquiries for personal protective equipment (PPE), respiratory facemasks in particular.
Many other products, like surgical gowns and scrub suits, are also in high demand. Medline is committed to protecting the supply of PPE and other essential medical apparel and products as much as possible for our customers, and to making sure that they are fairly allocated.
Please note, for these critical products, we are not accepting any new customers at this time.
Meanwhile, many of our production facilities are getting back to work, but they are not yet all at full capacity. Production and infrastructure are still constrained. Stock levels are currently decreasing, but we estimate, based on the number of manufacturing facilities that have restarted operations, that customer deliveries will gradually return to normal. If this takes longer than expected, we will continue to place limits on high-demand products to avoid a stock-out situation.
We are closely monitoring the situation and our sales and customer service teams are keeping our customers informed about any changes to our inventories that may impact them.
We have been closely tracking the latest coronavirus developments in Europe and around the world and weighing what they mean for our employees, their families and the customers we serve.
As a company, we are adhering to the guidance set forth by the World Health Organization (WHO). And as each country and region in Europe is facing different circumstances, we also are closely monitoring and communicating about local developments. That means our offices are following local government and health authority’s guidance if it extends beyond that provided by the WHO.
At this time, we have done the following:
- Created a centralised coronavirus communications process, ensuring timely creation and distribution of all internal and external communications
- Published two messages each week from leadership to all employees with transparent updates focusing on company-wide precautionary guidelines and customer-impacting supply chain information
- Developed and launched an internal coronavirus intranet page with an archive of all communications and links to helpful heath resources
- Restricted all travel (based on travel warnings from local governments); emergency travel is at the traveller’s discretion
- Cancelled customer visits and large and internal and customer meetings until further notice
- Looked after our employees’ well-being and strongly emphasised that employees not feeling well should stay home
- Enabled all employees to work from home who can in their position
- Ensured all of our facilities are stocked with hand sanitizer
- Asked all customer-facing employees to strictly adhere to any additional practices or rules set out by healthcare providers they visit.
Rest assured we are doing everything we can to continue to support Europe’s vital healthcare systems while keeping all of our employees safe and healthy.
Medline Europe will begin selling its range of Compass® digital pressure reading devices directly to customers in Switzerland this month, following success in other markets.
Starting 20 March, Compass® will be sold directly without a third-party vendor, providing customers with enhanced service and a broader product offering. The decision to sell directly in Switzerland is the latest development since the acquisition of Centurion Medical Products by Medline Industries Inc. in November 2019. The past few months have seen a successful launch and integration of the Compass product range in the United States, France, Belgium, Germany and Austria.
The range consists of three products, including:
- Compass® UniversalHG, a versatile, sterile and single-use digital pressure reading medical device used for the measurement of compartment pressure. Delays and misdiagnoses of compartment syndrome can cause nerve and tissue death and muscle damage, making early detection vitally important to treating and managing this issue
- Compass® Lumbar, useful in the measurement of cerebral spinal fluid pressure
- Compass® Thoracentesis, for measurement of pleural pressure.
All Compass® devices provide a simple, precise and indisputable digital pressure reading instantly.
To ensure an effective launch, the Swiss Medline team is focusing on educating Medline customers and promoting these products with instructional and informative brochures and videos.
Last week, Medline Europe representatives from France, Slovakia and the European headquarters in the Netherlands had the privilege to attend a meeting in Partizánske, Slovakia, with the local mayor to discuss an upcoming expansion project in Slovakia.
This meeting grabbed the attention of the national press due to the project’s projected local impact (you can watch the coverage in the Slovak language here).
The planned facility will represent an investment of €24 million and create around 300 new jobs for the local community in addition to the 200 people already employed by Medline in Slovakia. Medline is committed to continue being an active participant in Slovakia’s economy, and this project will enable the company to increase its footprint in Europe, expand sales into Eastern Europe and further address customer needs. Production in the new facility is scheduled to begin in early 2022.
Medline International B.V. has published its third annual Sustainability Report, covering Medline’s social, environmental and economic activities and impact (People, Planet, Prosperity) in Europe in 2018.
In the context of Medline’s European operations, corporate social responsibility (CSR) is synonymous with sustainability. Our CSR focus areas are labour and human rights, environmental initiatives, breast cancer awareness and charitable giving, all of which are featured in the 2019 report, among other topics. In addition to our full, in-depth Sustainability Report, we also have a Summary Sustainability Report available here, providing a succinct overview of the report.
Today marks the very first European Prime Vendor delivery by Medline Services to our customer MV Santé in Switzerland.
MV Santé, a specialist in ambulatory surgery, has five clinics in the Geneva area, all served by Prime Vendor. Prime Vendor buys medical consumables from multiple suppliers, consolidates them on one platform and delivers them to multisite care providers. With this solution, Medline Services handles all the supply chain tasks so that hospitals and healthcare professionals can concentrate on what they do best: taking care of patients.
Jerome Monnot (VP Medline Service Europe), Jos Hallebeek (Prime Vendor Implementation Manager) and Bart Kraan (Engineer Operations Europe) are on-site to celebrate this milestone and inaugurate this exciting new service in Europe.
Learn more about Prime Vendor here.